2012 Kaiser Permanente Pasadena Marathon  marathon half marathon 10K 5k bike tour
UNTIL RACEDAY 107 Days Register now!

Running With History Mile 2

California Institute of Technology (Caltech)

Running With History Mile 2: California Institute of Technology (Caltech) - In its first year, 1891, the then-named 'Throop College' rented quarters in the Wooster Block. This building still stands today as part of the Hotel Green on the southeast corner of the intersection of Fair Oaks and Green Street in Old Pasadena. In 1892, the school relocated to the northeast corner of the intersection of Raymond Avenue and Chestnut Street, across from the present site of St. Andrew's Catholic Church. The buildings at this second campus were leased out when the school moved once again to its current location in 1910, and eventually demolished in the 1920s.

The present–day campus, generally located between Wilson and Hill Avenues and Del Mar and California Boulevards, began with the building of Throop Hall by architects Elmer Grey and Myron Hunt. This 1910 building was torn down after sustaining damage in the 1971 Sylmar Earthquake, and is now marked by a landscaped area that incorporates large boulders selected by geological and planetary sciences faculty to illustrate the various rock types found in the San Gabriel Mountains. In 1915, the college retained architect Bertram Goodhue, known for his mastery of the Spanish Colonial Revival style, to develop a master plan for the campus. Goodhue's plan included buildings with a Spanish theme based on Renaissance designs of central and southern Spain, blended with the adobe forms of the American Southwest. The stretch of colonnaded buildings along Bechtel Mall, visible from the Pasadena Marathon route along Wilson Avenue, dramatically illustrates Goodhue's impressive vision for the campus.

Kaiser Permanente 2012sponsors pulteUltima ReplenishersRidelinksRidelinksPasadena IndependentCrown City News
So Cal Storage Pasadena Tri Club Pasadena PacersPasadena HeritageJessica Verma
MSS